Whether you've just lost a tooth or experienced tooth loss in the past, dental implants can restore your smile. Matthews, NC, dentist Dr. David Feeney shares a few benefits of dental implants and explains how the implant process works.
Why should I choose dental implants?
Dental implants offer several important benefits, including:
- A Complete Replacement Tooth: Dental implants completely restore missing teeth. The implant, which serves as a synthetic root replacement, bonds to your jawbone and is topped with a dental crown. Implants are a good choice if you've lost one or two teeth, but you can even replace all of your teeth with the restorations. Many people who've worn removable dentures in the past find that implant-supported dentures are a more comfortable option.
- Natural Feel: Dental implants feel comfortable because they're firmly attached to your jaw just like natural teeth. You can easily chew all of your favorite foods without worrying that your restoration will slip or rub against your gum.
- Improved Appearance: The crown attached to the top of your dental implant looks just like your missing tooth. Crowns are created from impressions of your mouth taken in our Matthews office to ensure that the restorations look and feel natural. Shifting teeth, a problem that can occur after you lose a tooth, can be avoided by adding a dental implant and crown to your mouth. Once your new tooth is in place, you won't have to worry that your teeth will drift and overlap.
- No Change to Your Bite: A missing tooth or teeth can change your bite and may even eventually lead to other problems, such as temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ) or difficulty chewing. Dental implants help you avoid these issues.
- A Stronger Jawbone: Your jawbone starts to resorb, or shrink after you lose a tooth. Resorption occurs when your tooth roots no longer stimulate the bone and can several unpleasant consequences. Further tooth loss is a possibility, plus a shrinking jawbone can lead to facial sagging. Your new dental implant presses on your jawbone the same way your roots do, which strengthens your jaw and prevents shrinking.
Restore your smile with dental implants! Call Matthews, NC, dentist Dr. David Feeney at (704) 847-1000 to schedule an appointment.